Forge of War

Craig

Forge of War

Postby Craig » September 7th, 2011, 11:46 am

These rules began their life as a personal reaction to the often unnecessary and increasing complexity of a number of commonly available science fiction rule sets, and Warhammer 40K in particular. They were the first set to be published on the Blog and in many ways are the ancestor or everything we have here today.

When first published on the Blog they stirred a response in a number of other gamers with similar feelings and from that the Forge of War development group was born. The second edition of the rules was the result of the hard work and dedication of this group. To these we must give our thanks for without them Forge of War would have languished and eventually vanished.

These rules have tried to break free from a number of the conventions that have bound the most popular professional titles and return us to what must be the core issues facing any commander on a future battlefield, namely command and control, and the effective use and motivation of his prime resource - his men, whilst dealing with the fog of war.

Through play-testing and debate the development group forged a set of rules we are all proud to be associated with. Although considerably longer than the first edition they address most aspects of SF skirmish wargaming, including the use and abuse of armoured fighting vehicles.

Like the first edition they can stand alone and offer the gamer the opportunity to create his own Force Lists based upon the collections of himself and his regular opponents. However, we recognise that most players coming to these rules have invested considerable time, money and effort in building up collections for such games as Warhammer 40K, AT-43, Star Wars and others. Thus these rules are supplemented with Force Lists for each of these and a growing number of other genres and games.

I am currently working on a 3rd edition, in between other projects, and would welcome feedback and the involvement of you all.
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

Yuber Okami

Re: Forge of War

Postby Yuber Okami » September 12th, 2011, 10:27 am

If you plan developing these rules, count me in! I have been looking for some alternative rules to use my 40k miniatures for ages, and nowadays these seem the finest out there

Craig

Postby Craig » September 12th, 2011, 11:10 am

Hi Yuber,

There is a lot to do. The old rules were riddled with typo's and inconsistencies. Mostly due to the collaborative nature of the way we work and my very poor editing.

I'm open to any new ideas people have so let's have at it.
Cheers,
Craig.

Froggy the Great

Postby Froggy the Great » September 12th, 2011, 2:00 pm

What sets Forge Of War apart from FUBAR and ITEN?

Craig

Postby Craig » September 12th, 2011, 2:49 pm

Froggy the Great wrote:What sets Forge Of War apart from FUBAR and ITEN?

Forge of War is the ancestor of both sets. It has more depth than FUBAR and was originally aimed at the sort of size of battles you would get from Wartyforkhammer.

If you read the original edition (on the blog or the yahoo group) you will be able to see what we took for FUBAR, and what we left behind. I still love the combination of Activation and D-markers.

However, FoW is a set unto itself and needs more love now we have got FUBAR & ItEN running. it was written in chunks by half a dozen of us and I utterly failed to edit is all together properly, leaving it full of promise but not so good on delivering.

if we can get it right we will have a set of full battle rules, a set of small unit action rules and a set of skirmish rules -> Forge of War, FUBAR and ItEN.
Cheers,
Craig.

clkeagle

Postby clkeagle » September 14th, 2011, 3:13 pm

I'm reading through the 3rd edition draft now and making notes. I'm very happy to be around for this revision... Forge of War is the rule set that pulled me away from GW in the first place.

Forge of War is still a damn fun game. It handles large battles (think 40k Apocalypse) better than any other set I've played.

Yuber Okami

Postby Yuber Okami » September 15th, 2011, 8:25 am

When i first read the rules i thought it got the best from the epic/blitzkrieg commander (the activation/D-marker thingy) with olde WH40k rogue trader edition. I didn't see any holes in the rules, but i have not yet used them, so maybe i will be more helpful once i do (maybe i four weeks... :cry: ).

BTW, once you (we?) get a definitive version, i could be able to translate it to spanish (did it with FUBAR rules before...)

Craig

Postby Craig » September 15th, 2011, 8:51 am

A translation would be great! I love the fact that some of our games are available in a variety of world languages. It's a shame that more games writers don't do this and expect everyone to just know english.

As always all contribution are welcome. This time you will get a credit as a translator in the english edition as well.
Cheers,
Craig.

Craig

Postby Craig » September 15th, 2011, 8:53 am

[quote="clkeagle"]I'm reading through the 3rd edition draft now and making notes. I'm very happy to be around for this revision... Forge of War is the rule set that pulled me away from GW in the first place. [quote]

I shall look forward to your comments as always Chris.
Cheers,
Craig.

Return to “Core Rules”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor