Forge of War 3.2

Craig

Forge of War 3.2

Postby Craig » September 20th, 2011, 11:52 am

Ok, a second run through and we have 3.2 below.

One very significant change is to the following:
1. In ranged and close combat we now add the SV or FV, plus the weapon's WV to the D10 roll and try and exceed the target's AV.
2. In line with the above all AV's have now increased by 10.
This gives us an open linear range which makes everything a bit easier to work out.

There have been numerous clarifications throughout the rules, including a full description of an Infantry Platoon to use in the examples.
Attachments
Forge 3.2.docx
Core Rules draft 20/09/11.
(54.33 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

Yuber Okami

Re: Forge of War 3.2

Postby Yuber Okami » November 2nd, 2011, 2:58 pm

Been reading them for a small time. Only changes i would add so far:

Page 2 : "The Activation Roll is an attempt to break away from the taking turns mentality of the more popular rules sets available for this 'period'. In those rules one player can move, fire and attack with every single unit before his opponent can do anything, regardless of the skills, readiness or order of his units. "

I would change it this way: "The activation roll is an attempt to circumvent the problems inherent of the "IgoUgo" mechanics used in most popular rule sets for this "period". In those rules one player can move, fire and attack with every single unit before his opponent can do anything, regardless of the skills, readiness or order of his units, which calls for reduced realism and too much dependance on initiative to attain victory ("My turn. I shoot you with all my army, killing half of yours. Your turn. Now you can return fire with your remaining half army...")". All in all, FOW system does have turns, too.

In page 3 "The troops’ skill with close combat weapons. " should be changed to "The troops’ skill in close combat", as the former assumes they won't go barehanded into a melee. Also, i don't like the AV description (although it is clear enough!)

In same page: "Campaign losses has meant " maybe should be changed to "Campaign losses have meant", but i'm not precisely an expert on the english language :(

More to follow!

Yuber Okami

Postby Yuber Okami » November 2nd, 2011, 3:18 pm

More on the spot!!!

Page 6: "The Activation roll is modified as per the table below" (plus table). As you have to roll less than your CV, it does not seem logic that you add to the roll the CV of your leader/unit, and get to substract/add what the table states. I think all the explanation should be rewritten (maybe starting with "The activation goal number" or something else).

Page 7: "This also applies if a unit with its maximum number of D-markers should lose a D-marker for other reasons, such as moving at full speed through difficult terrain. " I think it is "...should take a D-marker..." instead of lose

"Instead of performing a normal activation on a unit the player can choose to attempt to remove D-markers. They are essentially spending the time motivating their men" Here i would change "They" for "Assume that the officers of the unit are...".

Yuber Okami

Postby Yuber Okami » November 2nd, 2011, 3:48 pm

Last but not least:

- In page 12 it is said that " a Command Test (roll equal to or less than the unit's modified Command Value)", which seems exactly equal to the activation roll, so, why don't unify both terms? "in order to activate a unit you have to pass a command test" or something around that.

Also, as a personal note, do units have to shoot all their weapons against an enemy unit, or they may choose to "divide shooting", thus hitting multiple units during the same turn?

Craig

Postby Craig » January 28th, 2012, 11:51 am

Hi Yubi,

I'm going to have a fresh look at my 3.2 this coming week. All the mess with losing my job, and then finding another got in the way. Don't you just hate it when real life interferes? :D

Any further thoughts?
Cheers,
Craig.

Yuber Okami

Postby Yuber Okami » February 23rd, 2012, 2:18 pm

As i often read in the internet, "bitch please": i have been studying an engineering career while working & trying to finish a PhD, so yes, i have a little experience with Real Life getting in the way.

Hope you have got a new job in the meantime between your post and my answer. Things are getting pretty rough for everyone lately. And no, no more comments about the rules (i have had no time to test them yet anyway...)

Craig

Postby Craig » February 23rd, 2012, 6:43 pm

Hi Yuber,

Yup I started a new job and have been steadily settling into the mire :)
Cheers,
Craig.

Return to “Core Rules”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor