Reasons why I cannot play IteN 3.0 & use the retinue builder

Discussion about the core rules - questions, clarifications and updates.
The_Lux

Reasons why I cannot play IteN 3.0 & use the retinue builder

Postby The_Lux » September 26th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Hey Guys,

I've read the core book and the retinue book for 2 days now.
And I have a few important questions or at the moment I think IteN is unplayable for me.

1. What is the range of Weapon "X"?
- The Weapons are missing in the core book. It's okay. You have alle the weapons you need in the retinue book. But unfortunately, not all of them have a range displayed. Most of them do not have a range. Is there another way to find out the range? I suggest to use the official GW Ranges of the weapons

2. Are there special abilities to some weapons?
- How about the plasme pistol. Is it possible to overheat plasma weapons? I don't know.

3. Is it possible to declare everyone as a leader?
- As seen in the retinue book, every squad has a leader. But displayed in the example build of the retinue builder (http://rb.iten-game.org/view_retinue?id=7) another guy is also a leader. Is this really possible?

4. Weapons and Armories are missing in the Retinue Builder
- I am missing a few Eldar Weapons and all eldar armories. Official all my Eldar are using a Imperial Power Armor. (http://rb.iten-game.org/view_retinue?id=522)
My Dark Reaper is using an Orc Rokkit Launcha.

5. Why does the example retinue have different stats?
- I've tried to find the passage in the core book, where you are able to edit the stats of a unit. But I didn't found it yet.
For example: I cannot find this unit in the retinue list:
Trooper 'Try Again' Bragg 2+ +2 +2 +0
For me it makes no sense. If you are able to change the stats, why is there a bonus of FV +1 when you are an Ultramarine? It costs 5 points to be an Ultramarine. But you are also able to just increase the FV by one and only pay one point for it.

6. Is every unit able to take every equipment and every special ability?
- I was just wondering. But I think yes.

At the moment, I'm not able to play this game. Mainly because of the missing weapon ranges.
I really would like to play it with my friends (this weekend for example). But how?

Maybe anyone of you is able to help me? I would really really appreciate it. I want to play "In the emperors name" :)

Many thanks in advance!
The_Lux

Pascal Tognon

Re: Reasons why I cannot play IteN 3.0 & use the retinue bui

Postby Pascal Tognon » September 29th, 2013, 8:38 pm

Maybe time to finaly finish Iten III Jodrell?

As it now is, Iten III is for many people unplayable,
as there are too many errors, and the retinue creator
sows too much confusion.
It is also not fun to everytime consult the PC to make a retinue.
Iten III is just not finished yet.

I am still using my own (and in the meantime vastly improved) version of Iten,
but have stopped working on it because
of the 'Inquisitor' skirmish game that is going to be released.
We will undoubtedly be going to use those rules, if they are clear and simple enough.

If not, I will continue work on my version of Iten.

The weapons and retinues have been expanded and clarified;
the rules made simpler and more in-line with the original Iten;
and fast game-play, without blanc-time spaces for players who's turn it is not.
We shall see, and hold fingers crossed for a very nice and enjoyable 40K Skirmish game from GW.

It is not very nice to write this, nor will it be very nice to read this,
but it needed to be written.
Sorry.

C ya
Pascal

Jodrell

Postby Jodrell » September 30th, 2013, 8:34 am

The_Lux wrote:1. What is the range of Weapon "X"?
- The Weapons are missing in the core book. It's okay. You have alle the weapons you need in the retinue book. But unfortunately, not all of them have a range displayed. Most of them do not have a range. Is there another way to find out the range? I suggest to use the official GW Ranges of the weapons

We omitted the list of weapons from version 3.0 of the Core Rules as the plan is for them to be included in version 3 of the Retinues List.

Of course, this hasn't been published yet, so in the meantime, unless you have access to the 2nd edition rulebook, you're out of luck. My apologies for that!

To resolve the issue, I have now published a Weapons List which can be downloaded from the Downloads page of the ItEN website. This lists all the key information for every weapon.

ItEN is not prescriptive, so you are always free to create your own versions of weapons you want to use. The formula for working out the points cost is in the core rules.

The_Lux wrote:2. Are there special abilities to some weapons?
- How about the plasme pistol. Is it possible to overheat plasma weapons? I don't know.

No. If it's not explicitly mentioned in the rules or the retinue list, then it doesn't exist. ItEN is not a "copy" of Warhammer 40,000 - rules for things in 40K do not always have an equivalent in ItEN.

As mentioned above, if you wanted to add this rule for plasma weapons, you are free to do so, as long as your opponents agree.

The_Lux wrote:3. Is it possible to declare everyone as a leader?
- As seen in the retinue book, every squad has a leader. But displayed in the example build of the retinue builder (http://rb.iten-game.org/view_retinue?id=7) another guy is also a leader. Is this really possible?

There is nothing to prevent a retinue having more than one leader. For example, a Space Marine retinue might include a Sergeant and a Chaplain. Either is capable of leading the retinue. The most senior figure is the leader until killed, at which point the next most senior model becomes the leader.

The_Lux wrote:4. Weapons and Armories are missing in the Retinue Builder
- I am missing a few Eldar Weapons and all eldar armories. Official all my Eldar are using a Imperial Power Armor. (http://rb.iten-game.org/view_retinue?id=522)
My Dark Reaper is using an Orc Rokkit Launcha.

Please PM me a list of what's missing so I can add them to the database.

The_Lux wrote:5. Why does the example retinue have different stats?
- I've tried to find the passage in the core book, where you are able to edit the stats of a unit. But I didn't found it yet.
For example: I cannot find this unit in the retinue list:
Trooper 'Try Again' Bragg 2+ +2 +2 +0
For me it makes no sense. If you are able to change the stats, why is there a bonus of FV +1 when you are an Ultramarine? It costs 5 points to be an Ultramarine. But you are also able to just increase the FV by one and only pay one point for it.

6. Is every unit able to take every equipment and every special ability?
- I was just wondering. But I think yes.

As mentioned above, ItEN is not prescriptive - we don't tell you what you can and can't do. It's your game! We just provide the basic framework.

ItEN is designed to make it easy to create narrative wargames inspired by the novels published by the Black Library. "Trooper 'Try Again' Bragg" is a character from Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" novels, which is why he appears in one of the public retinues. When you create a retinue you are not restricted to just using the figures in the retinue lists - they are a useful guide, not a rule.

The_Lux

Postby The_Lux » September 30th, 2013, 9:13 am

Many thanks for your answers! Both of you :)

Jodrell wrote:We omitted the list of weapons from version 3.0 of the Core Rules as the plan is for them to be included in version 3 of the Retinues List.

Of course, this hasn't been published yet, so in the meantime, unless you have access to the 2nd edition rulebook, you're out of luck. My apologies for that!

To resolve the issue, I have now published a Weapons List which can be downloaded from the Downloads page of the ItEN website. This lists all the key information for every weapon.

ItEN is not prescriptive, so you are always free to create your own versions of weapons you want to use. The formula for working out the points cost is in the core rules.

Thank you for your effort! I've found the 2nd edition core book, so I was able to use the list from there.
But thanks for the weapons list! I think this was the most annoying part to be missed!

Jodrell wrote:No. If it's not explicitly mentioned in the rules or the retinue list, then it doesn't exist. ItEN is not a "copy" of Warhammer 40,000 - rules for things in 40K do not always have an equivalent in ItEN.

As mentioned above, if you wanted to add this rule for plasma weapons, you are free to do so, as long as your opponents agree.

Okay, thanks for your clarification. Maybe I will add these special rules :)

Jodrell wrote:There is nothing to prevent a retinue having more than one leader. For example, a Space Marine retinue might include a Sergeant and a Chaplain. Either is capable of leading the retinue. The most senior figure is the leader until killed, at which point the next most senior model becomes the leader.

As I recognize correctly, the Leader was strict defined in the 2nd edition. You needed to have one leader and it was only possible for those units who had the ability "Leader" listed in the retinue book.
I think that the change from "We have a retinue list" to "you can create a complete unit on your own" was too confusing for me.
I am a person who need rules. I need stats. :)

Jodrell wrote:Please PM me a list of what's missing so I can add them to the database.

Will do, thanks!

Jodrell wrote:As mentioned above, ItEN is not prescriptive - we don't tell you what you can and can't do. It's your game! We just provide the basic framework.

ItEN is designed to make it easy to create narrative wargames inspired by the novels published by the Black Library. "Trooper 'Try Again' Bragg" is a character from Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghosts" novels, which is why he appears in one of the public retinues. When you create a retinue you are not restricted to just using the figures in the retinue lists - they are a useful guide, not a rule.

Thanks for the clarification. I think it will be better, if we have a new retinue list 3.0 (Maybe with Dark Eldar and Tyranids then? :) ). As I mentioned before, I need rules and stats.
But now I know, that we can create our unit completely on our own.
My problem with this freedom is following.
If we can create the stats, the equipment, special abilities and psyker powers on our own, then every figure and every race is the same. Everyone is able to equip a displacement field. Even Tyranids for example.
In my opinion, there need to be restrictions a specials for every race and class.
In my opinion the displacement field for example is only capable for Necron, Eldar and maybe Dark Eldar. I don't think that a Tyranid will use this technology :)

But as you mentioned, we can change the game :)

Return to “Core Rules”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor