An Introduction to Dead Simple

Craig

An Introduction to Dead Simple

Postby Craig » September 7th, 2011, 12:27 pm

An entire fantasy roleplaying game in one page? They said it could not be done, or at the very least not with the depth and fun that you get from a much larger tome?

I have been roleplaying for 35 years, most of it dedicated to D&D, but I have also played roughly thirty other titles as well. Not one of them published a rule book under forty pages and many required you to read hundreds of pages before you could pick up a dice and play. God help you if you wanted to GM any of these games as you had to inwardly digest much, much more. So I set out to liberate people from this endless quest to have a rule for absolutely everything.

Dead Simple is just what it says. I have distilled all the sterotypes from the classic fantasy rpgs into one page covering character creation and the rules of play. It really is all you need for a quick pick up game. However, there is more to it than that.

If you want to keep on playing because you enjoy the freedom that these rules give you then there are a number of one page supplements covering a range of topics including:
    Dead Simple Game Mastering
    Going Underground
    Loot!
    The Marketplace
    The Village of Grobblet
    The Denizens of the Dark
    Dark Forests…
    Death is only the beginning…
    The Tomb of St.Magnus Part 1

Eventually I plan to have twelve one page supplements, meaning your entire reading pile is just 13 pages - lucky for some. The core mechanic of the entire rule set is a single adjusted D20 roll. Could it get much easier? Probably, but even I find coin-tossing and rock-paper-shotgun a bit lacking honestly :lol:

The simplicity of the rules have lent themselves to a range of variants covering everything from caped crusaders to witchhunting in the 17th century, and from Hard Sf to Steampunk. Each of which has had hundreds of downloads from the Blog.
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

therealirishmike

Re: An Introduction to Dead Simple

Postby therealirishmike » February 25th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Craig,

I have really enjoyed the Dead Simple ruleset and have introduced my 8 year old son to role playing with it. Thank you for you work on making this a great way to get into the fun without having to teach hundred + page rulebooks!

I have a question regarding production of a character sheet application and the permissions required to do so. I would love to explain what I have in mind and see if you are interested in it or not.

I can be reached here via pm, or at "thereal irishmike @ g mail. com"

Thanks again for what is probably the most flexible and fun ruleset I've had a chance to experience!!

-therealirishmike

Craig

Postby Craig » March 1st, 2013, 8:32 pm

The Real Irish Mike? Maker of hundreds of excellent character sheets, many of which I've been happy to use for what seems forever?
People! We have gaming royalty here! :ugeek:

Honestly though I have always liked your stuff, just wish I had time to play more RPG systems and thus use more of your sheets. Right, sycophancy over, onto business :D

I am more than happy for you to create sheets for any of our games. All I ask is you put a credit link back to the blog. As you can see the community here are all amateur game developers and unrepentant tinkerers. Our only rule is giving fair credit for the contributions of others. And if you don't mind me linking to your site from the blog as well...

I'm glad you like the DS series of rules. They were my RPG equivalent to FUBAR, and have had almost as many downloads off the blog. The Carbon City 30's Superhero game has been the best runner, with the original DS a close second.

I must admit that although I have tried to use the excuse of writing for my lad as the reason I write and encourage others to write simple rules, in fact it is because I have the short-term memory of a goldfish :shock: My lad likes FUBAR and ItEN, but has shown little interest in DS more's the pity.

Hmm.. rambling again, so thanks again for the offer and please do what you will
Cheers,
Craig.

therealirishmike

Postby therealirishmike » March 4th, 2013, 6:39 am

I am, unfortunately, not "The Real Irish Mike," but merely "therealirishmike"

Though I would love to trade on the fame the name conjures, I cannot in good conscious do so. Myself and a long time friend of mine are currently creating apps for iOS and thought that this would make a wonderful project to get out there in the world. We are contemplating a simple, yet thorough character sheet creator and manager for i-devices and would like to also include the ability to print both completed and blank character sheets, spellbooks, and packs for characters to enable players to always have the information with them for an impromptu game, or just to have them all in the same place.

My concern is that of the possibility of the app being sold and that fortunes in the estimate of ones, nay, TENS of dollars could be brought in as revenue and we don't want to step on any toes.

We are more than happy to link and promote the site and forum as you request and look forward to working on this project.

(For the record, we are just a pair of guys working on projects on the side and not a company or group that is out to wring the public of its hard earned ducats!)

-therealirishmike

Craig

Postby Craig » March 4th, 2013, 6:38 pm

Oh, so you're that realirishmike eh?

Please go ahead.

Note that I might just tap you for an iOS App for In Her Majety's Name at some point...
Cheers,
Craig.

therealirishmike

Postby therealirishmike » March 19th, 2013, 10:26 pm

I'll post this here as it pertains to the original post.

Is there a mechanic for hit point generation for characters and baddies?

I was unable to find one specific to the ruleset.

Thanks!!

therealirishmike

Craig

Postby Craig » March 20th, 2013, 7:28 pm

That is because there are no Hit Points Mike :D

"Armour stops the first few points of damage. Light Armour stops 1 point, Medium 2, Heavy 3, Very Heavy 4. A light shield stops 1 extra point on top of armour or a heavy shield stops 2 extra points.
If his armour doesn’t stop all the damage the defender must make a Toughness skill roll.
He must roll less than his Toughness minus the remaining damage, or he becomes Wounded.
A Wounded figure has all his skills reduced by 3 points (including Toughness).
If wounded a second time he is knocked out.
A KO’d figure can be easily killed or captured."

Who needs all that tedious book-keeping eh? These are dead simple rules after all...
Cheers,
Craig.

therealirishmike

Postby therealirishmike » March 21st, 2013, 5:36 am

You know...... I read that, and it tracked when I read it. Somewhere between reading it and applying it, the concept became more complex than it needed to be!

Thanks for the straightening out!

- therealirishmike

Return to “Dead Simple”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor