Fubar Mech Rules Proposal

snowy

Fubar Mech Rules Proposal

Postby snowy » December 17th, 2011, 10:50 am

Hey everyone, been a lurker round here for a while now.

Really impressed by the Fubar rules when I first read them and at the time I was playing around with adeptus titanicus, it inspired me to try and create a Mech rule set using Fubar as the base.

Anyway, it's gone through a number of rewrites and i'm left with this, kept it on one page but it's still a little rough and needs some play-testing, if anyone can get some fun out of it then job done. :D

I've put it in the 15mm section because that's where I was initially writing it for myself, some of the measurements might seem a little off but it could easily be adapted to other scales.

Hope I got the credits right at the bottom, don't want to step on anyone's toes here, it's a great set of rules the Forge of War team created and it's been fun building on these!

Cheer
Attachments
Fubarmech.pdf
(456.72 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
Fubarmech.docx
(35.13 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Last edited by snowy on February 15th, 2012, 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Froggy the Great

Re: Fubar Mech Rules Proposal

Postby Froggy the Great » December 17th, 2011, 4:45 pm

I really like this! I might not get rid of all my CAV minis after all!

The FP ratings seem a little low to me, and I would personally double all speeds and ranges, if I'm using a 6'x6' table.

Craig

Postby Craig » December 18th, 2011, 11:17 am

Hi Snowy,

Very interesting rules and nicely laid out to boot. :D One really tiny thing... use your spell checker ;) (assualt, canon, and others).

I still have a 6mm scale Titan from way back with the very first release of 'Space Marine'. So how would you adjust these rules, if at all, to work with 6mm mechs/Titans? I'm pretty sure that Michael and Angel Barracks will both find your answer to this very interesting.
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

snowy

Postby snowy » December 18th, 2011, 9:21 pm

@Froggy - Yeah I was not too sure on what to set the FP ratings too, I wanted to get a feel for the weapons being different from each other without being too powerful. As to the table size, yep, might be a little small (I play most games on 2x2 or 4x4).

@Craig - D'oh, i'm not sure which is worse, forgetting to spell check or reading it through several times and not seeing the mistakes!

When I was writing these I was a bit stuck between the two camps, I had the whole 6mm titans in head but at the moment i'm getting quite into 15mm, so I was trying to keep it fairly neutral. Although a solution might be to have the 6mm scales alongside the current in CM (does everyone still use CM in 6mm?).

I've updated the pdf here and added the docx if anyone wants to play around with it.
Last edited by snowy on February 15th, 2012, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angel Barracks

Postby Angel Barracks » December 19th, 2011, 9:02 pm

Pretty much cm for us 6millers.

Not into mechs/titans/walkers, sorry.

:roll:

Genestealer

Postby Genestealer » December 21st, 2011, 4:44 am

After I've gotten a hand on the base rules, I know all of one page, I'll take a look. I like a little Epic Armageddon (6mm) and can see the mech rules possibly being used for titans.

clkeagle

Postby clkeagle » December 21st, 2011, 3:53 pm

Snowy,

This looks perfect for 15mm - and you saved me from having to create one on my own! I'll start making stat cards for the various 15mm walkers and mecha available.

Just to make sure I'm on the same page as you:
'BOT: Rebel Minis CATs and similar?
SCOUT: GZG Cyclops, Khurasan DIMOG, Critical Mass Protolene Ayame, ArtCrime Valkyrie?
MEDIUM: Rebel HAMR, Critical Mass ARC Walkers, most Blue Moon walkers, Ravenstar Silverback?
HEAVY: Khurasan L-HAC, Gruntz Imperator, Ravenstar Thunderfoot?

snowy

Postby snowy » December 21st, 2011, 10:36 pm

Looking forward to the Stat cards! and yep, Mech sizes all look just right.

Spartan 117

Postby Spartan 117 » January 26th, 2012, 6:42 am

Mecha rules! Yay! Been waiting for Chris K's set, but you beat him to it ;)

clkeagle

Postby clkeagle » January 27th, 2012, 4:09 pm

Alright, after giving this thing a few solid reads, here's my thoughts on the proposal. @Kelvin - I'm looking at these purely for 15mm use, so don't take any comments the wrong way. They could be used as-is with Battletech, CAV, and Heavy Gear models (and be a lot more fun than any of those rule sets).

For 15mm games:

-Love the use of Armor Points. Reminds me of the old Epic 40k war engine damage system.

-Shields wouldn't be used. Very few 15mm mecha seem to have that level of technology.

-The Mount Points limitations would also be skipped, simply because so many 15mm minis already violate these rules.

-Absolutely LOVE the Multiple Mech activation rule. It allows you to form units at times or operate independently when necessary.

-I like most of the activation options. You'd just have to make some allowances, like prohibiting heavy mecha from ever taking an Evasive action. Concentrated fire is very interesting, especially when combined with a multiple mech activation. The single use limitation should be removed from jump packs-I'm envisioning specific models (like GZG Cyclops Suits and Ravenstar Silverbacks) which look like they could stay "on the bounce" for an entire battle.

-No problem with shooting/suppression/cover, since those are lifted right out of FUBAR. :)

-Close combat: it looks like the size/hit chart will work. It might just need a bit of playtesting for the specific modifiers, but I don't see any initial changes to suggest.

-I think the Weapons section needs the most work. The ranges seem to be incredibly short overall. There also doesn't seem to be much granularity among the different weapons, especially accounting for different size classes. A shot from something the size of an ArtCrime Valkyrie might only have 1-2 fire points, but something from a Ravenstar Thunderfoot could easily have 6-8. I'll try some playtesting on these.

-On the damage table - good catch in placing 7 as the most common 2D6 roll. The rule of using starting armor points to determine overload radius is very simple and clever. My thought: should each size class have a unique damage table? If you use the damage table to make a Scout more vulnerable to 2 unsaved hits than a Heavy, you might be able to compensate for lower FP values in the weapons.

Overall - I think this variant has tons of potential. Great work, Kelvin! I'll play around a bit with weapon and damage values and let you know what happens.

snowy

Postby snowy » February 11th, 2012, 11:55 pm

Hey @Chris, sorry for the late reply on this.

Thanks for the feedback on this, I think your right looking at it from a 15mm only perspective, at the time of writing it up I was trying to bridge a few scales but i'm pretty much committed to 15mm at the mo so best look at it that way.

- I think your right about the mount points, it makes the Mech build up too rigid, also with 15mm Mechs there is so much variety!

- My reasoning behind the shields was to add a bit more strategy and choice to games, with options for shield recharges etc, yeah it doesn't quite fit in with the current views on the Mech's though. It would be good if we could find a way to keep these kind of options in but perhaps remove the shields. I.E self repairing alien tech. It needs a bit of play testing to see if this really works.

- Glad you like the Multiple Mech activation rule :) It was inspired from flight sorties, flying as a group and having those benefits yet able to break off and deal with multiple threats when needed.

- Again, I think your right on the "one use" jump packs, that should go. Good idea on reigning in the Heavier mechs a bit.

- Weapons section definitely needs some work, I did kind of tack it on at the end but yea t would be good to see some more options.

- I've had some thoughts on the damage table/weapons issue, we could keep the table as is but add extra columns for each class, then change the rolls needed for certain damage types. I.E scout mechs have the upper part of the table blanked out so all rolls against them have a greater chance of causing catastrophic damage. I'll try and get the table made up to explain this a little better.

Overall I think it needs to be table tested to see how it goes, it surprises me again how tricky a one page rule set can be to get right but yeah I can definitely see where this could go, a page profiling popular mechs from manufacturers with specs ready to pick up and play would be pretty cool.
Again, thanks for this Chris, this is the first time i've really put my hand at making a rule set and it's great to see the process it goes through.

Edit: ok I have updated the DOC and PDF in the first post with the latest:

- removed the mount point.
- removed limit on jump packs.
- Added restriction to Evasive actions for Heavy Mechs.
- Added some additional modifiers to the Damage charts depending on Mech class.
- Edited the layout of the document to provide more space for further work.

snowy

Fubar Mech revision 100312

Postby snowy » March 10th, 2012, 8:09 pm

Well I managed to get a fair few play test games in with the rules and it was ummm..a bit boring to be honest. The Shield rules were really getting in the way of the speed of the game, after 5/6 turns in most games all the Mechs were simply in the middle of the table ping ponging shots back and forth with little effect, it was more a war of attrition.

So i've:

- revised the rules and stripped out anything relating to shields and their upkeep.
- removed the +3 bot damage modifier (if a bot is hit it's already dead anyway).
- re written the weapons stats and added some new ones, these still need a lot of work to make each weapon more distinctive.

Hopefully this rule speed up the skirmishes and reduce the amount of tracking involved (so not it's just armour points and any additional damage), also to hopefully make it more fun! I have been playing around with some scenarios too to add to this page once the rules are tightened up a bit more. :)
Attachments
Fubarmech -rev100312.pdf
(482.61 KiB) Downloaded 163 times

Return to “15mm Fubar”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor