Hey @Chris, sorry for the late reply on this.
Thanks for the feedback on this, I think your right looking at it from a 15mm only perspective, at the time of writing it up I was trying to bridge a few scales but i'm pretty much committed to 15mm at the mo so best look at it that way.
- I think your right about the mount points, it makes the Mech build up too rigid, also with 15mm Mechs there is so much variety!
- My reasoning behind the shields was to add a bit more strategy and choice to games, with options for shield recharges etc, yeah it doesn't quite fit in with the current views on the Mech's though. It would be good if we could find a way to keep these kind of options in but perhaps remove the shields. I.E self repairing alien tech. It needs a bit of play testing to see if this really works.
- Glad you like the Multiple Mech activation rule
It was inspired from flight sorties, flying as a group and having those benefits yet able to break off and deal with multiple threats when needed.
- Again, I think your right on the "one use" jump packs, that should go. Good idea on reigning in the Heavier mechs a bit.
- Weapons section definitely needs some work, I did kind of tack it on at the end but yea t would be good to see some more options.
- I've had some thoughts on the damage table/weapons issue, we could keep the table as is but add extra columns for each class, then change the rolls needed for certain damage types. I.E scout mechs have the upper part of the table blanked out so all rolls against them have a greater chance of causing catastrophic damage. I'll try and get the table made up to explain this a little better.
Overall I think it needs to be table tested to see how it goes, it surprises me again how tricky a one page rule set can be to get right but yeah I can definitely see where this could go, a page profiling popular mechs from manufacturers with specs ready to pick up and play would be pretty cool.
Again, thanks for this Chris, this is the first time i've really put my hand at making a rule set and it's great to see the process it goes through.
Edit: ok I have updated the DOC and PDF in the first post with the latest:
- removed the mount point.
- removed limit on jump packs.
- Added restriction to Evasive actions for Heavy Mechs.
- Added some additional modifiers to the Damage charts depending on Mech class.
- Edited the layout of the document to provide more space for further work.