The Christmas War - Invasion of Laurentia

clkeagle

The Christmas War - Invasion of Laurentia

Postby clkeagle » December 27th, 2011, 11:47 pm

Here's the background I've written for my personal version of The Christmas War. All campaign participants are welcome to steal any piece of this for your own games, or use the whole thing if you like!

Avalonia was an early Earth colony, found in 2112 AD. Two separate colonies were establisehd on Avalonia: Cimmeria in the south and Laurentia in the north. Cimmeria became the most populous of the two colony-states: about seven million colonists within the first few generations. Laurentia was less than half of that size, but its settlers brought significant intellectual and technological advantages compared to the Cimmerians. Laurentia carefully established their early settlements where they could best utilize their own resources. Cimmeria simply tried to shelter its people as best it could, relying on Laurentia for assistance.

Tensions between the Laurentia and Cimmeria were inevitable. Things took a turn for the worse when Cimmerian territory experienced a significant temperature increase. Their soil had already been badly damaged by poor agricultural conservation practices, but the climate change significantly degraded their ability to grow crops and raise livestock. Cimmeria’s food production now consisted mostly of rice products and a poor-tasting fish that seemed to be a close relative of Earth’s sardine. It had effectively become a poverty-stricken nation, and its people were suffering greatly.

Laurentia, comparatively, had become a paradise. They had adapted numerous grasses, vegetables, and grains to Avalonia’s red soil, and the climate was favorable for all kinds of livestock. They also discovered enough petroleums, natural gasses, metals, and minerals to last for many future generations. Laurentia’s communities developed rapidly, and their level of industrial and agricultural automation granted its people more than enough time for recreation and higher education.

Laurentia eventually ceased exports. They felt they had provided Cimmeria every opportunity to adapt into a self-sufficient society, which Cimmeria squandered in favor of more “handouts.” Laurentia relocated the majority of their military installations to the border with Cimmeria. Cimmeria, using the only resources they had available (people and industry), had significantly increased the size of their military over the past generation.

On the eve of their hundredth Christmas, Laurentia’s administration invited Cimmeria’s leaders to a summit. They were prepared to offer them one last chance to send their agricultural leaders into Laurentia for training. While Laurentia’s administration was giving the Cimmerian delgation a tour of their government facilities, the Cimmerians noticed how empty the offices and hallways seemed. A Laurentian aide made the mistake of saying that not only had most government employees taken vacation to see their families, but most of their military had done the same. This was what the Cimmerians were waiting to hear. One of the Cimmerians reached into his pocket and clicked his pen three times. The microtransmitter inside the pen sent the signal to their military forces - launch the attack!

Craig

Re: The Christmas War - Invasion of Laurentia

Postby Craig » December 29th, 2011, 1:46 pm

I like this. it's a bit like the Korean War. Cold landscapes, massed infantry attacks against technologically superior but small units.

have you read the history of the Cheshires in that war and how they had to defend a hill with a couple of hundred men against mass wave attacks?

I look forward to your reports.
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

clkeagle

Postby clkeagle » December 30th, 2011, 2:54 am

I must admit I know very little about units from your side of the pond in Korea. Most of what I do know was on the Air Force side of it (some relatives were B-52 mechanics in that conflict). I'll have to do some homework and see if I can create some more parallels. :)

clkeagle

Postby clkeagle » December 30th, 2011, 2:58 am

I have chosen my Laurentian Defense Forces for the Christmas War campaign. Originally I was going to make it a winter-themed campaign on my ice planet terrain. But after writing the Laurentian fluff, I realized that the best force from my collection already happened to have Red Planet bases. So I adjusted the story and assembled my forces.

The core infantry will be Rebel Minis Drop Troopers. Since the heavy weapon packs for that line haven't been released, I'm going to use Rebel's CAT 'bots in the supporting role.

And to give them some elite support, I went with the resculpted GZG NAC Power Armor. Here's a comparison of all three figure types:

Now I just need to make up my mind on which army will represent the Cimmerian invaders.
Last edited by clkeagle on January 3rd, 2012, 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

clkeagle

Postby clkeagle » January 3rd, 2012, 5:22 am

I picked a few minis out of my lead pile to represent the Cimmerian invaders. I wanted these to be a lower-technology (but more numerous) force than the Laurentians, so the Rebel Minis Homeguard ended up being my solution. These will run in teams of four: a command team of 3x carbines and 1x designated marksman, an assault team of 2x carbines and 2x flamethrowers, and two fireteams of 3x carbines and 1x missile launcher. To give them some heavy hitting power (and draw enemy fire), I gave them a HAMR mecha in support:

The HAMR will later be utilized in mecha-only FUBAR games. But for the Christmas War, here's the basic stats for the Cimmerians:

Craig

Postby Craig » January 3rd, 2012, 9:23 am

You guys just love your cards don't you :) Most excellent!

Btw, are your Cimmerians going to be led by Gen. Conan?
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

Angel Barracks

Postby Angel Barracks » January 3rd, 2012, 9:36 am

Craig wrote:You guys just love your cards don't you :) Most excellent!

Btw, are your Cimmerians going to be led by Gen. Conan?

Cards FTW!

Crush enemies...

clkeagle

Postby clkeagle » January 3rd, 2012, 9:04 pm

The cards have been great for me... I just make one whenever I finish painting a unit. The card sits right behind or below the unit on my display shelf... whenever I want to play a game, I set up a table, grab an army and its cards, and throw some dice. It's amazing how many more games I play this way, compared to spending hours juggling points lists and force rosters in 40K. Plus they take up almost no space on the table.

Hell, I'd probably find a way to use unit cards if some flash of insanity took me back to GW games.

Return to “15mm Fubar”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor