Sgt Crunch's 15mm sci-fi supplement

Sergeant Crunch

Sgt Crunch's 15mm sci-fi supplement

Postby Sergeant Crunch » June 3rd, 2012, 5:39 pm

OK, here's the first rough draft. I have yet to play test it, and need to finish assembling/painting several models to test all of it. I think the only thing I wanted to add but ran out of space was characters. After some play testing I may find other things I want add. Some things may look familiar from other supplements, I borrowed heavily on things I thought looked like they work as is.

Tear it apart folks.
Attachments
Sgt Crunch's 15mm Scifi FUBAR.pdf
(66.71 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
This space intentionally left blank.

Craig

Re: Sgt Crunch's 15mm sci-fi supplement

Postby Craig » June 4th, 2012, 11:11 am

We have the Diamond Jubilee long weekend over here in the UK so do not be surprised if feedback is slow at first.
perhaps if listed what is different between your 15mm Sf supplements and other SCiFi Fubar supplements.
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » June 4th, 2012, 7:01 pm

I knew the Diamond Jubilee was going on, but being a Yank didn't realize how big an affair it is.

The main differences are addition of rules for long range fire, massive vehicles (like Khurasan's Siler or Dictator), and special attributes for weapons and vehicles.

sharkbait

Postby sharkbait » June 6th, 2012, 2:28 am

I like the special attributes for weapons. The idea of some weapons being more powerful (affecting armor saves) is a nice touch.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » June 7th, 2012, 3:28 am

sharkbait wrote:I like the special attributes for weapons. The idea of some weapons being more powerful (affecting armor saves) is a nice touch.

Thanks!

Did you find anything that wasn't clear? Looking back at it, I think I may need to clarify how "ingores armor save" interacts with massive vehicles and advanced armor.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » November 5th, 2012, 3:48 am

I decided that I wasn't entirely happy with my first attempt at this supplement. So I've revamped it into a two-page core rules included version. Some of the stuff added/changed are the capability to make a single action from a limited list on a failed activation, characters, adding a "move" stat, RAMMING SPEED!, indirect fire, off-table fire support, different motive system types, terrain effects on movement, expanded weapon/unit/character abilities, and most importantly....cheesy sci-fi fonts.

Here's the file. I haven't had the opportunity to playtest it yet (so many games so little time). If you do try it, please let me know what you think of it.
Attachments
FUBAR (Crunch Style).pdf
(303 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

tgunner91

Postby tgunner91 » November 8th, 2012, 1:45 am

Looks good big sarge. Have you seen the changes Craig has suggested for Ultra-FUBAR? It's in the Ultra forum and under the Activation thread. Basically you roll to active a unit. If you succeed you get two actions with a unit (move is an action, fire is an action) and then you get to activate a new unit. If you fail your unit only gets one action and then your foe gets to activate a new unit. It makes for a very different game.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » November 10th, 2012, 11:49 pm

I wanted to try it with Craig's first idea of having only a few actions for a unit that failed activation. I think for my purposes it'll be sufficient.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » November 11th, 2012, 11:29 pm

Tried it with one of my sons today. The parts that were in play worked well, but need to work out which has priority when a weapon that ignores armor saves hits a vehicle that ignores hits.

Having just the three options for a unit that failed activation seems to work fine.

rooneg

Postby rooneg » November 24th, 2012, 1:19 pm

I just started getting into FUBAR, and was taking a look at your version. It's pretty much exactly what I was looking for, but I had a few comments.

First, it's kind of strange that you mention Speed as a unit attribute, but you never give any examples of what a reasonable speed value would be. Everything else has distances specified (ranges for example), so I'd expect a table of example speed values (maybe normal human, powered armor, xenomorph, a few typical vehicles, etc).

Second, you've got the powered armor rules in two places, a note after the Personal Armor table and the Powered Armor section itself. I expect you could drop the note after the table and it would still be understandable.

Honestly, other that that this system seems about perfect. Small, self contained and useful. I'd like some of the enhancements that are being talked about for ULTRA FUBAR (activation changes, points system, etc), but for now this is an awesome starting point for 15mm SciFi.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » November 24th, 2012, 6:38 pm

I was trying to allow for units that can move at different speeds to represent faster/slower species or vehicles. Average human should be 6". I have my Felids with a Speed of 7. I didn't include examples because I wasn't sure at the time how much space I'd have left. Average wheeled/tracked speed should be 12".

I'm sure I had a reason for including the power armor information twice, but I'll darned if I can remember what it was.

Thanks for the feedback. One word of warning though, I've discovered that the ignores armor save and ignores unsaved hit abilities are very strong and I need to work out which is the best way to resolve an attack from a weapon that ignores saves against a vehicle that ignores unsaved hits.

Once I figure that out I'll probably start working on a point-buy system. However, Real Life is going to start requiring a fair amount of my time in the near future.

rooneg

Postby rooneg » November 24th, 2012, 7:28 pm

Sergeant Crunch wrote:I was trying to allow for units that can move at different speeds to represent faster/slower species or vehicles. Average human should be 6". I have my Felids with a Speed of 7. I didn't include examples because I wasn't sure at the time how much space I'd have left. Average wheeled/tracked speed should be 12".

That seems reasonable. I'd still recommend finding room for example speeds for people to use as a baseline though.

Sergeant Crunch wrote:Once I figure that out I'll probably start working on a point-buy system. However, Real Life is going to start requiring a fair amount of my time in the near future.

If you are planning on a point-buy system, then you can perhaps simplify things further by removing the "power armor", "bugs/xenomorphs" and "robot/ai/drones" sections. Just move their constituent abilities into the attribute lists, and have a table of example attribute packages for things like power armor, xenomorphs, drones, etc.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » November 25th, 2012, 1:41 pm

I was going to make the point-buy system a separate document. That way I keep the rules and the points calculator separate. And to be honest, I have a tendency to overcomplicate things when it comes to point systems so there will probably be a spreadsheet involved.

Return to “15mm Fubar”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor