The Shadow Worlds - a 15mm Space Opera Army

clkeagle

The Shadow Worlds - a 15mm Space Opera Army

Postby clkeagle » January 27th, 2012, 9:09 pm

FUBAR is a great rule set and all, but lately I've found myself playing more games of Forge of War. So, in the hopes of resurrecting this section: here's the workup for my latest 15mm army.

The Shadow Worlds are located on the furthest reaches of known space. They were discovered late during humanity's colonization frenzy. Their name comes from the first impression of the star systems - so many moons and planets that the colonized worlds seemed to be in perpetual eclipse. But the Shadow Worlds quickly diverged from most of their human counterparts because of a key discovery. The planets were home to numerous alien artifacts - so technologically advanced that they had a near-mystical quality. Mankind had generally shied away from these artifacts, preserving them, slowly analyzing them, and trying to integrate them into our own scientific advances. But the Shadow Worlders used these artifacts openly and directly, with little real understanding. War was inevitable, and warriors from the Shadow Worlds were the stuff of nightmares.

Here's the army so far. More pictures and details here: http://basementgamingbunker.blogspot.com/2012/01/growing-skirmish-force-into-full-army.html

The core figures in this army are from the Laserburn Redemptionists line. Some of you have seen these before - I used them as Enemies Of Man when we were playtesting ItEN. I've fleshed out a bit of background for them now. They are now the Inner Circle of the Shadow Worlds - individuals who have studied in the ruined temples and learned to wield the ancient alien weaponry.

They are often accompanied by Enforcers (Laserburn Redemptionists in Dreadnought Armor). The Enforcers are the personal guard of the Shadow Worlds' rulers.

I used Ground Zero Games Islamic Federation troopers for the Shadow Worlds' rank-and-file soldiers.

And for their armor: Ravenstar Studios' Stalker Tank. These are big and intimidating compared to my other MBTs, so they seemed like a good fit for this army. Much like the AT-ATs in Star Wars, these were designed more for terror than for battlefield efficiency, but are extremely lethal in combat.

Is this the type of post that should be in this section? Is it helpful or inspirational to anyone?

Craig

Re: The Shadow Worlds - a 15mm Space Opera Army

Postby Craig » January 28th, 2012, 11:47 am

How do I sum this up? How about WOW!! :shock:

One of my current projects is a complete overhaul of the FoW rules. No major rules changes but it needs a serious editorial tidy up. If you have any ideas please let me know. Despite the success of FUBAR and ItEN, FoW was my first success and is why all this exists today.

The background is very characterful and I'm looking forwards to further instalments.

I just love your cards. Any chance that you can upload them to the forum, especially of you have blanks we can add our own forces to? ot are you going to host them on Dropship Horizons?
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

clkeagle

Re: The Shadow Worlds - a 15mm Space Opera Army

Postby clkeagle » January 28th, 2012, 7:37 pm

The army is my first attempt at a new game-setting technique. Take an existing world from a movie, book, comic, show, video game, etc., break it down into raw story elements, and use those elements to build a new setting that fits an existing figure and terrain collection. For example: start with the Battle of Hoth and strip it of all Star Wars-specific elements. I can then build a scenario where three or four of these Shadow World Stalker tanks are stomping across my red planet table, while another one of my 15mm armies fights back from defensive positions. I think this opens up more chances for creative modeling and gaming than simply trying to recreate the Battle of Hoth just like the movie.

I read the Forge of War version 3 draft and took some notes... I'll track them down and get them to you.

One of these days I'm going to post a detailed tutorial of how I actually make FUBAR, ItEN, and ForW cards. In the meantime, I'll make a blank version and post them. If I had access to some generic or sci-fi artwork (even line drawings), I could make cards for all the samples in the back of the ForW book.

Return to “Force Lists”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor