Core Rules

A brand new draft set of SF battle rules
Craig

Core Rules

Postby Craig » June 5th, 2012, 9:36 am

Hi Guys,

Even though I am working hammer and tong on IHMN my creative juices still flow. Attached is the beginning of a set of full battle rules for post-modern and SF for you guys to read and contribute to. Most of the core concepts are fleshed out (and need that very special FoW kickaround), but a lot of the detail and flavour is missing and needs work.

I've saved the rules here in Word 2010, Pdf and Open Document formats.
DMW v 0.1.docx
Word 2010 version
(33.36 KiB) Downloaded 212 times

DMW v 0.1.odt
Open Document version
(22.62 KiB) Downloaded 152 times

DMW v 0.1.pdf
Adobe version
(544.8 KiB) Downloaded 288 times
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

ianrs54

Re: Core Rules

Postby ianrs54 » June 5th, 2012, 10:10 am

These on the Group as well Craig....

IanS :?:
IanS - author, moderator TOE group

Craig

Postby Craig » June 5th, 2012, 10:29 am

Give me a chance mate - I'm having my breakfast :D
Cheers,
Craig.

Craig

Postby Craig » June 5th, 2012, 10:34 am

OK, it is up and running on the Yahoo Group too.
Cheers,
Craig.

ianrs54

Postby ianrs54 » June 5th, 2012, 12:23 pm

Breakfast - at 08.36 Zulu.....

Thanks Craig.

ianS
IanS - author, moderator TOE group

sharkbait

Postby sharkbait » June 6th, 2012, 2:27 am

Being unfamiliar with the FoW core rules, what is the difference in playing between this and FUBAR and/or ItEN?

Having said that, it looks like you have a good start, I'm just not ready to add anything.

Craig

Postby Craig » June 6th, 2012, 7:57 am

sharkbait wrote:Being unfamiliar with the FoW core rules, what is the difference in playing between this and FUBAR and/or ItEN?

Although DMW owes a debt to its family it will be different in a number of ways. If we look at the family it comes from:
1. ItEN is a single figure skirmish game.
2. FUBAR is an ultra-simple small unit skirmish game. KISS iss the core design principle.
3. FoW is aimed at small unit actions - different to skirmish, and the KISS principle still applies.
4. Whereas DMW is aimed at fighting full battles up to Battalion or even Brigade level, and the KISS principle is more of a guideline than a design goal.

I have been following the W40K 6th Edition debate for a while now, and was given a copy of Tomorrow's War. The former is likely to be another cynical atempt to milk the gaming public for money. Tomorrow's War though is quite a different beast but it's not for me - it is far too complex and detailed, and locks the players into the TW universe.

So DMW shall explore the same territory as these two games. It will use some of the mechanics we have grown familiar with and which have many fans out there already, and introduce new ones. It will still be generic so that it can support multiple backgrounds and offer a free alternative for gamers.

I have introduced the idea of Tech Levels - shamelessly homaged from Traveller. This allows us to field balanced forces from different eras, even side by side. We have an Initiative system that kills off the IGO-UGO philosophy of so many other games, without overcomplicating things. There will be a comprehensive points system allowing people to quickly create forces to suit them and their gaming comrades.

D-markers are in. Activation is out; replaced by a Command roll that determines how many actions a unit can take on its initiative. Weapons blast/cone templates are out, having been replaced by a more elegant weight of fire mechanic.

Vehicles will be in, in force. As will AI's, Robots and Drones.

At the core of it all is a focus on command and control through the use of simple mechanics with complex outcomes. Command rolls, D-markers, Actions and Reserved Actions, Initiative Rotation will all stretch the player and though simple to learn will be difficult to master. I expect to lose a lot in these rules :)

One thing I do expect is that if we can get this right DMW may well lead to FoW becoming practically extinct. Sad, but that is evolution. We are so much better rules writers than we were when we wrote FoW.
Cheers,
Craig.

sharkbait

Postby sharkbait » June 6th, 2012, 11:28 am

Thanks for the info, Craig! I certainly wasn't expecting that much information, but it sure does help me understand where FoW/DMW fit in. Generally, I prefer smaller skirmish games, but it would be nice to have some decent rules for larger games as well.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » June 7th, 2012, 6:36 am

Gave it a once over and have a few comments:

- I like d10s
- In para 2.3 on one table the highest tech level is "Amazing" and on the next "Ultra." Is this intentional or a mid-stream change in terminology?
- I disagree with your force organization, but that may be a case of my time in the US Army versus your futuristic vision. While I'm willing to accept your view, others that are more...particular...about force organization will insist that your company is really a platoon, etc. May effect how readily people will accept the rules if they're not willing to modify to their liking.
- 4.5.1 maybe use a table with a footnote detailing the effects of a natural 1 or 10 result to aid quick comprehension

I like the core mechanics and look forward to seeing where you go with the advanced concepts.
This space intentionally left blank.

Craig

Postby Craig » June 7th, 2012, 8:03 am

Hi Sgt.,

Yes, this is what you get when you throw down such a quick draft :) That's one of my problems - full of ideas, shakey on implementation.

To answer your questions:
1. I think I'll go with Ultra. Amazing sounds like a super hero game.
2. I blame W40K for the Force Organization (verdammt Space Marinen!). It will get amended when I finish my steampunk rules, unless you'd like to redraft it?
3. I'll have a look at the table idea - I'm all for increasing clarity.

I tell you that it is difficult to write a generic SF ruleset. I kept having to veer away from adding my own future history ideas. You can see hints of them but I really want this to be usable with pretty much any SF figures.
Cheers,
Craig.

golan2072

Postby golan2072 » November 25th, 2012, 8:48 pm

Which scale is this? 28mm, 15mm or 6mm?

Return to “DMW - Dead Men Walking”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor