In Her Majesty's Name - Update!

General discussions not tied to a specific system
Craig

In Her Majesty's Name - Update!

Postby Craig » May 26th, 2012, 4:44 pm

So Charles and I have pretty much nailed down the core rules. They are longer than I originally imagined they would be, but they are filled with examples and every word has had to be checked and triple checked for possible ambiguities. This is so much harder than writing for you guys knowing that you will take it apart, apply common sense and overlook my tendency to write first and think it through later. This product must be able to hit the streets and people just pick it up and play it <insert primal scream here> :!:

The various lists for weapons, armour and equipment are fairly complete. Just need a rewrite to tie everything together. We’ve chucked out the original rules for mechanical walkers and rewritten them, they are much more characterful now.

The next big creative job is finishing the force lists. We’re trying to include a wide range of forces so every one of you will find something that appeals to you. The difficulty is keeping them in period and inside the word limit.

We also have really innovative ideas for handling terrain and scenarios that I think will make you all as happy as toddlers in Disneyland.

Osprey have sent us the main pieces of interior artwork and it is fantastic! I wish we could share it with you, but I’m afraid you’re going to have to wait. Receiving it has made the project seem so much more real. it has also led to some additional writing as we want to make each piece of art tie into the game itself.

Our watchword has had to become 'KISS'. We could easily fill three volumes with all the stuff we have been thinking up, but we have but a single volume and a word limit. I can't remember how many times one of us had to reign in the other and say 'KISS'. It does mena though that we will end up with a lot of stuff we can later give away on the dedicated IHMN blog/website, or possibly put into a supplement (if it sells well).

Something to think about people - if this games really works, then you might want to upgrade ItEN to match it. I'm not sure what the copyright situation would be regarding this but I shall find out. The core rules are pretty much universal and could so easily be adapted to other genres...
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

Knockman

Re: In Her Majesty's Name - Update!

Postby Knockman » June 13th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Craig,
Is there a need, or any possible plans, for some playtesting? I would be happy to volunteer and ensure discretion too.

Craig

Postby Craig » June 23rd, 2012, 11:21 am

Hi All,

Is that a deadline I see approaching, or a freight-train marked 'Osprey'? Aaaaargh!

Charles and I are in final edit mode and yomping towards the finish line. Will we make it? Only time will tell. :shock:

As for playtesting, if there is any it won't be until we've delivered the first draft to Phil. Thanks for the offer.
Cheers,
Craig.

Sergeant Crunch

Postby Sergeant Crunch » July 1st, 2012, 11:53 pm

I like deadlines. Especially the Whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

(mis)quoted from Douglas Adams
This space intentionally left blank.

Craig

Postby Craig » July 29th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Hi All,

Well we renegotiated the June deadline to become a July deadline and that is now just a couple of days away. With luck and a fair wind Osprey will have the manuscript in their hands on Tuesday morning :shock:

As you know the rules were publicised by Osprey a couple of months ago, and then Miniature Wargames 352 ran a Steampunk piece mentioning them strongly so no pressure :)

The rules will now go into the editing and proofing process. I'm not sure exactly when we'll see them on the shelves but it should be April-May next year.

Interesting times...
Cheers,
Craig.

Angel Barracks

Postby Angel Barracks » July 29th, 2012, 6:03 pm

Kudos.

Craig

Postby Craig » July 30th, 2012, 5:49 pm

Do you know what the hardest thing of all is? Not being able to share any of the details with you guys!! :(

I have been so used to sharing everything with you and delighting in your comments suggestions and ideas. It has been so much fun collaborating with my old friend Charles, which has been some compensation, but I do miss the rough and tumble here.

No matter, it's practically done, almost... Once it is out I think that you will all appreciate what we have created for you and the wider gaming community. Then we just have to wait and see what that community thinks. Cool or Stinker?

Once we're closer to the release there will be a few other surprises too... but again I can only tease and not tell verdammt!

Never mind, soon I'll be able to get stuck back into 'Uber-FUBAR', Forge of War III and Dead Men Walking. Normal service shall be resumed :ugeek:
Cheers,
Craig.

Froggy the Great

Postby Froggy the Great » July 30th, 2012, 8:36 pm

Uber-FUBAR? Do tell.

ianrs54

Postby ianrs54 » July 31st, 2012, 9:42 am

NORMAL service :D

IanS
IanS - author, moderator TOE group

Return to “The Bunker”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor