In Her Majesty's Name Release information

General discussions not tied to a specific system
Craig

In Her Majesty's Name Release information

Postby Craig » February 4th, 2013, 6:54 pm

Well guys, I thought that you'd like to see this:

http://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=148&page=1

We have our own figures range to go with the rules.
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

clkeagle

Re: In Her Majesty's Name Release information

Postby clkeagle » February 6th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Very nice figures! Almost makes me wish I hadn't given up 28mm gaming. :)

When you originally told us about the project, I didn't realize so many different pulp settings would be covered. I'll definitely pick up the rules - Rebel, Splintered Light, Khurasan, and Blue Moon all make nice 15mm pulp figures. :)

Knockman

Postby Knockman » February 8th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Firstly Craig, congratulations in completing this. And on the glance I've had on the book cover on TMP, it looks good artwork.

The tie-in with North Star for the figures is also a clever idea, and it's a bonus 'plus' for me in that it's 28mm too.

Are you able yet to provide any snippets on the rules themselves - dice & other bits required, turn sequencing, etc., etc.,? Absolutely understand if you're locked in on an Osprey agreement that prevents you - just keen to see what's involved and how it will play, and then North Star will benefit from some pre-ordering.

Best wishes ffor the months ahead, and possibly will see you at Salute :)

Craig

Postby Craig » February 9th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Knockman wrote:Are you able yet to provide any snippets on the rules themselves - dice & other bits required, turn sequencing, etc., etc.,? Absolutely understand if you're locked in on an Osprey agreement that prevents you - just keen to see what's involved and how it will play, and then North Star will benefit from some pre-ordering.

Hi Knockman et al.,

The tie-in with Northstar was arranged by Osprey and you cannot imagine the self-control I have exhibited in the last few months as first pictures of the greens, then the figures and finally figures painted by Kevin Dallimore turned up in my e-mail. Charles and I have been sitting there slack-jawed with amazement as this has just ...happened! We also had the book artwork from Osprey coming in as well, I'm just surprised that I haven't had a cardiac event...

As for the rules, here are some snippets my fellow forgers:
1. You'll only ever need a single D10.
2. Skirmish rules involving forces of 4-15 figures -ish.
3. A full-featured points system so not only can you create companies from the rules, but also figures, equipment, talents and mystical powers of your own invention.
4. Northstar are initially releasing balanced forces for four of the ten companies. I understand that another company, Scotland Yard (feat. the Consulting Detective and the Good Doctor) is accessible through their rewards scheme for pre-ordering.
5. The other five companies include two from the USA, one from France, one from Germany and another British one (my favourite). If you saw Ripper Street last Sunday you may be able to guess that last one ;)
6. Play is on a 3' or 4' square area, i.e. dining room table.
7. There are some unique terrain rules. Terrain plays a part like in no other game. It can obstruct movement or line of sight, it can be active and pose dangers to people moving through or by it and lastly it can react to gunfire, flames and explosives.
8. The turn has four phases: Initiative, Movement, Shooting and Fighting - no surprise there.
9. If you combine the standard scenarios, with the various listed scenario complicators and the featured landscapes you have nearly nine hundred unique games to play.

Fancy racing across Khartoum as a rolling barrage nips at your heels hoping that you can get your company on the last river boat across the Nile while two other companies do the same? Or perhaps having a gun battle with dangerous anarchists across a busy shunting yard, in a London pea-soup fog? If a stray bullet doesn't get you a shunting engine might... Going hand to hand between the gas bags of an airborne Dirigible against Prussian Todtruppen? The rules cover all of this.

Play is quick with games lasting between half-an-hour and two hours, so two to three games in an evening is perfectly possible. There are numerous named heroes, but you can develop your won very easily. The game is balanced so no hero can suceed without his loyal henchmen.

Charles and I are now preparing a mass of extra material to release from a dedicated blog/website in support of the rules. And by a mass, I mean a mass. When we first brainstormed the rules we had over a hundred companies in our list, there's only ten in the rules.

All of this in just 64 pages...

Is that enough to whet your appetite? :shock:
Cheers,
Craig.

ianrs54

Postby ianrs54 » February 10th, 2013, 11:31 am

[quote="Craig
All of this in just 64 pages...

[/quote]

Obviously not comprehensive then ?

I'm looking forward to it, what about scales, not a fan of the giantist stuff, - i'd be looking at 6-15mm

IanS
IanS - author, moderator TOE group

Craig

Postby Craig » February 10th, 2013, 5:18 pm

What would be comprehensive Ian? :P

We have not recommended a scale in the rules - quite deliberately. Obviously a lot of players will go with 25mm because of the Northstar tie-in, but I can see no reason at all why they wouldn't work in 10-15mm.
Cheers,
Craig.

ianrs54

Postby ianrs54 » February 10th, 2013, 5:39 pm

£100 - 2000 pages, leather bound with metal corner peices, and tied in to a lod of copyrighted comon English terms ?

The other two rule sets in this series - although completely different, are both good to excellent. Yours should be at at least that standard.

IanS
IanS - author, moderator TOE group

Craig

Postby Craig » February 10th, 2013, 5:58 pm

We can but hope...
Cheers,
Craig.

Knockman

Postby Knockman » February 12th, 2013, 4:45 pm

Craig,

Many thanks, that's helped me pass around the link and some info on what to expect. A single D10, now there's an interesting thought. And I also like the simple turn structure.

Also keen to see what else appears on the support of the product - do you anticipate, with the design elements of the rules, that it will be easy for fan-made content to be generated, and, will you look to encourage that?

I'll be visiting the 'NickStarter' links later to invest accordingly.

Craig

Postby Craig » February 12th, 2013, 10:36 pm

Knockman wrote:Also keen to see what else appears on the support of the product - do you anticipate, with the design elements of the rules, that it will be easy for fan-made content to be generated, and, will you look to encourage that?

This is still Craig you're talking to you know :roll: Of course we'll be encouraging fan-made content and featuring it on the blog/website once I get the time to build that. Not that Charles and I will be sitting on our hands, we're already assembling a load of extra stuff to support the game. For example there are only ten companies in the rules, yet we brainstormed over a hundred while we were writing it... :shock:

Most importantly there is a fully featured points system in the rules that will allow you to create your own figure types, weapons, armour, equipment, talents and mystical powers.
Cheers,
Craig.

Knockman

Postby Knockman » February 13th, 2013, 4:29 pm

Hi Craig,

Great to hear :) I thought I would check as I just wasn't quite sure of the full extent of the Osprey deal you had and what you were allowed to do, but this sounds great for allsorts of support material. And it certainly sounds like the sort of thing I would love to apply the grey-matter too, and provide you with some suggestions in due course.

I'm really intrigued by the sound of the 'active terrain' - anything that makes folk think about how they layout their gamespace gets my vote.

Craig

Postby Craig » February 13th, 2013, 8:03 pm

So my merry men, herewith is a fuller description of what Charles and I have been beavering away at...

When we were first approached to create this game, we did a lot of research into both the period, contemporary literature, games and figures currently on the market, and the genre as a whole. There are some good games out there already but most of them are wedded to a specific narrative and many have really gone off on a fantastical tangent.

We felt that the Victorian Scientific Romances that entranced us both as children deserved something different. Authors like Jules Verne, Arthur Conan Doyle, H. Rider Haggard, Rudyard Kipling and H.G. Wells gave us a vision of an age where anything was still considered possible.

Thus we decided to create game founded in the actual technology of the late Victorian era, but enhanced by logical extrapolations of that technology such as that dreamt of by Edison and Tesla and a thousand less famous scientific geniuses. The patent records of the time would have made da Vinci jump for joy. Want a Bowler hat with a pistol in it - there was a real patent for it. Want to distribute electricity wirelessly - Tesla patented it. How much further advanced would the technology of 1895 have been if Babbage had been successful with his mechanical computers in the 1840's, fifty years before the period we cover?

We also looked closely at the beliefs and superstitions of the period. Even great men of the time believed in things that we would now consider fantastical, so what if some of these were actually true? It was a time of Spiritualism and Mesmerism, of illusionists, diabolical cults and new religions. Men still regarded their souls as worth saving, and a few as worth stealing.

The politics of the late Victorian era are particularly interesting. The great imperial powers were beginning to be challenged by upstart newcomers like the United States and Japan. Explorers, followed by missionaries and colonists were pushing into the last great wildernesses, and every great power wanted a slice of that. At the heart of this is the British Empire upon which the sun never set. In 1895 a fifth of the world's population lived under the Pax Britannica. Though we were finding it increasingly hard to control and defend.

Across Europe revolutionary movements were becoming very common. Every Great Power was worried about these and active suppression was common. Anarchists murdered politicians, diplomats and even members of royal families. Nationalist movements threatened the very stability of several European imperial states, most profoundly in Austro-Hungary.

The foundation of most of the modern secret intelligence services also happened in this period and their ranks were filled with mavericks, heroes and villains. Secret police, spies, saboteurs and assassins were all commonplace.

So, one of the most exciting periods in world history, give it a slight twist and we have the foundation for In Her Majesty's Name.

So next came the rules. Our founding principles were that they had to be rules that we would enjoy playing ourselves and they had be fairly simple in their core construction, yet with sufficient depth to continue to engage people over a long period. One of the reasons for this is that I have a very poor short term memory and find long, complex rules sets both baffling and immensely irritating as you good gentlemen know well.

The companies reflect the period very closely, either being based upon historical forces, or forces from Victorian Contemporary literature. Our first brainstorm produced over a a hundred potential companies from around the globe. We had to reduce this to just ten for the publication. However, be assured we shall be publishing many more on the supporting blog/site we are now working on.

Since the cat is well and truly out of the bag here are the companies in the main rules:
1. The British Army. This contains variations to allow you to represent many of the more famous regiments from Coldstream Guards to the Ghurkhas. It also includes the Prince of Wales Extraordinary Company led by the dashing Captain Napier and indefatigable Sgt. Borrage.
2. The Explorer's Club. This includes Lord Curr's Company - chosen by Northstar to become one of their starter sets. It is an organisation that supported Allan Quartermain and Fineous Fogg.
3. Scotland Yard. At the time the leading police organisation in the world. It has the toughest city on the planet to deal with, and it is supported by the Consulting Detective and his friend, the Good Doctor. Available as a Northstar bonus set.
4. The Society of Thule. A monstrous and dastardly group of Prussians determined to make Germany the pre-eminent power in Europe, through their maniacal mix of science and unnatural philosophy. Available as a Northstar starter set. Beware the Tod-truppen!!
5. The Black Dragon Tong. The ancient powers of the east strike back at the heart of Imperial Britain. Another Northstar Starter Set. It includes not just a band of mad martial artists but also the Yeti, what a terror to let loose on Gloucester Road eh?
6. The Servants of Ra. Who doesn't like suave and sophisticated reincarnated pharaohs, supported by fanatical cultists? The last of the Northstar Starter Sets.
7. Wild Bill Hickok's Wild West Show - the European tour version (this did happen and was very popular). A front for the Secret Service featuring those 'reformed' outlaws, the Dooley Brothers (on their steam horses no less).
8. The Légion Étrangère – 4ème battalion, Les Zouaves de Kreiss. Considered to be both the elite and the scum of the French military, supported by Prof. Moebius and his amazing serums. C'est magnifique, non?
9. The Brick Lane Commune. Arising out of the stews and alleys of the East End, preaching revolution or death and hurling their signature Brick Lane Bottle Grenades while singing the Internationale! As featured in the most recent episode of the BBC's excellent 'Ripper Street'.
10. The US Marine Corps. Rocketing in from the States and using their superior skills and technology to save the day.

The rules also have a fully-featured points system that allow you, nay encourage, players to create their own companies. Despite taking Osprey's shilling (thanks Phil ) I am still a fervent supporter of giving players the power to make and control their own games.

As we get closer to publication (May 20th) we shall be able to say more and rest assured we shall be keeping this forum up-to-date.

Nick and his crew shall by demonstrating the game at Salute this year. Both Charles and I shall be there to talk to any of you who swing by.
Cheers,
Craig.

Return to “The Bunker”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor