Some queries regarding current and proposed rules

The next generation of the FUBAR rules will be created here.
cptkremmen

Some queries regarding current and proposed rules

Postby cptkremmen » August 22nd, 2012, 9:54 am

Ok I have to be honest and say that my reason for asking is to play our first fubar game this evening with the current rules. I thoughti might as well put the question in the ultra fubar section as it would perhaps inspire some conversations.

Background - I am assuming that if you have a tank it is in a unit of 1. Infantry squads seem set up for about 8 men. Presumably with fixed suppression levels per squad, the rules would not work properly if you were using squads of 4 men or 20 men?

Now the real question I have some steel ta arms mini walkers, think of them in gw terms as terminators. What size unit should they be in? 8 like a normal squad would be ridiculously powerful and anyway I only have 3!

I would have thought 3-4 would sound right but would the rules work as planned with a 3-4 man very heavily armoured infantry unit? Should I change the suppression level to a lower value as they are a very small squad or do you just leave them at the normal setting?

I appreciate I am free to do whatever I want but what I am asking is what do you guys do and what tends to work within the rules. I am trying to make them work not trying to break them. :)

Andy

cptkremmen

Re: Some queries regarding current and proposed rules

Postby cptkremmen » August 22nd, 2012, 10:34 pm

Quick update for Craig,

i played two games tonight that went ok. We tried both the new activation rules and the reactive fire rule. Bear in mind that we are newbs at these rules.

We like there to be action, and prefer rules that encourage close assaults. As such we did not feel that the reactive fire rule was neccessary.

We on the whole did not like the new idea whereby you activate and get to shoot even if you fail your activation. It meant everyone was firing pretty much every turn, and just got into range, took up cover and fired away.

We actually believe the original rules, although potentially annoying when you get supressed and fail your activation could be preferable.

Only thing I am unsure about is that in the original rules if you fail your activation you get to go on guard which means you get to have a free shot in addition to close combat at anyone trying to assault you. This makes getting into assault range pretty difficult, especially as assault range is only 8".

Has anyone considered making assault move longer than 8" or perhaps giving a failed activation squad something other than on guard?

Andy

Tim G

Re: Some queries regarding current and proposed rules

Postby Tim G » August 25th, 2012, 11:21 pm

I only played a couple ages using the new activation, but I had a similar experience. Namely no assaults, generally long range firefight.

This is a fine result. I think if using FUBAR for say WWII, firefights should decide the day. If a a player is coming at FUBAR with a set of WH40k figures with chains swords and choppas, they may want close combats to decide the day.

This is a sticky wicket for sure. I new to the game so I haven't experienced the activation rule fails that. Other shave. In my short experience the current rule works fine and provides a level of chaos that is appropriate for the types of game the rules are for.

But I can see where being beaten before you can act would be no fun at all.

cptkremmen wrote:Quick update for Craig,

i played two games tonight that went ok. We tried both the new activation rules and the reactive fire rule. Bear in mind that we are newbs at these rules.

We like there to be action, and prefer rules that encourage close assaults. As such we did not feel that the reactive fire rule was neccessary.

We on the whole did not like the new idea whereby you activate and get to shoot even if you fail your activation. It meant everyone was firing pretty much every turn, and just got into range, took up cover and fired away.

We actually believe the original rules, although potentially annoying when you get supressed and fail your activation could be preferable.

Only thing I am unsure about is that in the original rules if you fail your activation you get to go on guard which means you get to have a free shot in addition to close combat at anyone trying to assault you. This makes getting into assault range pretty difficult, especially as assault range is only 8".

Has anyone considered making assault move longer than 8" or perhaps giving a failed activation squad something other than on guard?

Andy

Return to “Ultra FUBAR”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor