Point-Buy System

The next generation of the FUBAR rules will be created here.
golan2072

Point-Buy System

Postby golan2072 » October 13th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Is there any chance for a point-buy system in Ultra FUBAR? That would make tournament play more easy to set up.

Craig

Re: Point-Buy System

Postby Craig » October 13th, 2012, 8:20 pm

A full points system will be part of Ultra, be assured of that.
Cheers,
Craig.
"Youth and Talent are no match for Age and Treachery".

Froggy the Great

Postby Froggy the Great » October 14th, 2012, 2:52 pm

The one I use in the VSF version seems to work, though it could use some refinement for vehicles.

golan2072

Postby golan2072 » October 14th, 2012, 6:08 pm

Thanks!

mithril

Postby mithril » December 12th, 2012, 10:19 pm

i've found the system from the file i've appended works reasonably well for infantry. i haven't tried it for vehicles yet.

my main suggestions to this appraoch would be as follows:

Give each special ability you can give a unit a set "+#" cost, rather than define it in vague terms like 'minor ability, major ability". this will help cut down on arguements over what counts as a major ability, and remove one possible route of munchkinism in list building.

i'd also put a range modifier into the weapon stats section of the formula.. so instead of "chance of hitting x number of firepoints" it's "chance of hitting x # of FP's x Range modifier"

just make the range modifier fairly small, like say .5 for a 8" range, 1 for a 16" , 1.5 for a 24" range, etc. not sure what would work best.
this helps make a distinction between a 1FP 8" range weapon like a pistol and a 1FP 24" range weapon like an infantry rifle. the pistol should reduce the cost of the figure due to the fact its shorter range limits its tactical use.

i also have been counting the FP of all weapons the figure can use. so if they have a special ability that lets them fire 2 weapons at a time, i add the FP's of the two weapons with the highest FP #'s when figuring the points cost. this way the points represents combat effectiveness better.

as they currently are, vehicles only need a points adjustment to represent their greater mobility, ability to survive damage, and ability to fire more weapons. the weapons thing can already be handled similar to the note above for infantry.. just add up the FP's of all the weapons. the survivability thing could be handled with a modifier to the 'chance to avoid damage' section of the formula. mobility i'd just ignore, since to use all their firepower they have to slow down.
i would also suggest the armor modifier should apply to any special abilities costs they have. so if you build a flying vehicle, getting flight would be that much more expensive than taking a flying infantry figure.
Attachments
FUBAR Points System.rtf
(1.83 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

Return to “Ultra FUBAR”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor