An idea for AR/UGL combo weapons

The next generation of the FUBAR rules will be created here.
tgunner91

An idea for AR/UGL combo weapons

Postby tgunner91 » June 27th, 2013, 5:29 am

Hi all,

I've been playing around with FUBAR/Ultra for a while and I've been trying to figure out a good way to incorporate this style of weapon. I've treated this weapon as being either an AR or a grenade launcher- the player chooses which prior to shooting. This works but it seemed overpowering to me, especially when playing with sci-fi troops, like Aliens style Colonial Marines, who all have AR/UGL combos (a four man team with 12 FP! Yikes!).

So I'm thinking about making the AR/UGL combo weapon a separate weapon with its own stats. Here's what I'm thinking:

AR/UGL Combo Range 24" FP 1*

*2 FP from ranges 0-16".

Basically this makes the AR/UGL combo into a "super" AR that has a somewhat longer 2FP range advantage over its cousin, the AR. So now there is an advantage in taking this weapon but it doesn't overpower either the basic AR or the grenade launcher (or the LMG!) AND it's easy to remember and use in game play.

Using my 4 man team from above they now have a FP of 6 from +16" to 24" and a 9 FP from 0" to 16". That seems more reasonable to me. What do you guys think? What do y'all do?

hosercanadian

Re: An idea for AR/UGL combo weapons

Postby hosercanadian » June 27th, 2013, 7:28 pm

That is a simple way to do it. I would even suggest making it 3FP from 6" to 16"...those grenades have a safety distance.

The other options I might suggest is either:

1. Limit the ammo (give them all only one shot for ease of book-keeping or a limited number. Look it up on you-tube and you will see a very proficient user in a controlled setting easily do 1-2 rounds per minute with aiming. Add in dirt, hot weapons, vicious hungry aliens and that rate will drop. On the other hand it is a smaller grenade than the grenade launchers carry so it is already over-powered.

2. Apply a penalty. Give it -1 to the expertise rolls and see how many people choose 1FP over 3FP.

Play testing is the best way to decide.

tgunner91

Re: An idea for AR/UGL combo weapons

Postby tgunner91 » July 3rd, 2013, 2:30 pm

Some good ideas:

"That is a simple way to do it. I would even suggest making it 3FP from 6" to 16"...those grenades have a safety distance."

I did that for a while but it was easy to forget that minimum range.

"Limit the ammo (give them all only one shot for ease of book-keeping or a limited number."

I did that too. It worked but it started a debate on just how many shots they should get. We tracked it with tokans, but they were forgotten from time to time. Then I went to one token per unit... which started a debate about is that for the whole unit to shoot once or could you only shoot one GL. So I scrubbed the whole thing.

"Apply a penalty. Give it -1 to the expertise rolls and see how many people choose 1FP over 3FP"

I like this idea! I might try it out just to see how it'll work.

Return to “Ultra FUBAR”

Created by Matti from StylesFactory.pl and Warlords of Draenor